Sunday, January 24, 2010

Treat Your Body Like a Temple

This round of chemo affected me a little more than usual. My sugar level was crazy and I was nausea/sick all weekend. Finally, last night I started feeling a bit better.

Over the past few weeks I've been thinking about what caused my cancer and how I could change my lifestyle to prevent bringing it back. Unfortunately, stomach cancer isn't like other cancers. If you smoke and get lung cancer you know to stop smoking, but it's not that black and white with stomach cancer. I asked the doctor what she thought contributed to my cancer and she feels there's a good chance it's the environment I've worked in for so many years. I do know that when I return to work I'll change a few things and protect my body when going into the field. I'll make sure I wear proper equipment at all times to protect my body from chemicals.

I've also been concerned about the food I put into my body. For example, I use to be a huge Diet Coke drinking, but I'm hesitant to drink it again for fear that may have contributed to my condition. I've always eaten relatively healthy because of my diabetes but never worried about where the food came from or how the food was processed. My goal is to speak with the nutritionist at MDA and to also read books and become more educated on foods I should and shouldn't eat. Hopefully this will put my mind at ease as I get back to normal.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment