Monday, January 11, 2010

Friends For Life

Over the past few weeks I've experienced my hands and feet going completely numb when exposed to cold temperatures, and today I found out my nose does the same thing. When on a walk, my nose went so numb that I couldn't even tell if it was still attached to my face. I had to go inside to defrost it.

I've been thinking about the unexplainable bond cancer patients have. They understand what it's like to hear the terrible words, "You have cancer." They know what it's like to have to ask "How bad is it?" and "What's my prognosis?" and "Is it curable?" They also know what it's like to deal with the fear and doubt that overwhelms us. To then wonder what we did wrong to deserve this. During this time our minds wonder and sometimes think the worst. It's interesting because people you'd never imagine being a close friend with instantly bond because of their shared cancer experience. Before you know it, you're checking on each other daily and praying for one another often. You keep up with doctors visits and anxiously await results with each other. You even find yourself being happy when they get good news and you don't. Through this disease you become life long friends.

"Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!" Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

No comments:

Post a Comment