Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Thanks to the doctors

Today I thought I'd explain why I chose to go to MDA for treatment. It all boils down to feeling comfortable and having complete confidence with the care you are receiving. Even if someone in your family or a close friend doesn't have faith in your doctor it can put doubts in your mind. It's best if everyone is in agreement on which doctor you should see. This way you know you've done everything you possibly can to fight the cancer.

When I first had prostate cancer I actually trusted my doctor in Beaumont but the reason I choose MDA was they had the equipment necessary to preform the DaVinci Surgery. The doctor in Beaumont was only able to cut the cancer out by hand while MDA could do it robotically which has a faster recovery time. Actually, MDA has an entire department dedicated to the DaVinci and a separate department dedicated to doctors who still perform the surgery by hand. MDA provided options. Also, because I was an existing MDA patient they were able to quickly get me in to see a surgeon when my cancer returned.

One of the things that I appreciate about MDA is they are so specialized. My oncologist ONLY treats people who have stomach/esophagus cancer. Their doctors focus on one type of cancer and become experts. Even the doctor who is putting the power port in my chest specializes in power ports. MDA even has an experimental drug department that is highly sought after. People from all over the world fly to MDA for treatment and I'm blessed to live 1.5 hours away. I find it comforting that the doctors treating me know their fields so well.

Overall, you have to feel comfortable with the doctor you are seeing and trust them. I'm not saying one doctor is better than another but just feel strongly that you need to have confidence in the treatment you are receiving. With that being said, I know that God is my true healer. I thank MDA for their expertise and the treatment that I'm receiving, but God is the ultimate healer and the one who determines my fate.

"My son, pay attention to what I say;listen closely to my words. Do not let them out of your sight,keep them within your heart;for they are life to those who find the and health to a man's whole body." Proverbs 4:20-22

No comments:

Post a Comment