Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Why Not Me and You?

First, I'd like to tell you about a miracle that happened in my family last night. My 32 year old niece, Kim had a massive heart attack. She was rushed to the hospital and had to be brought back to life by shocking her heart. After working on her for some time the doctor came down to talk to the family. He said that she was really lucky. The type of heart attack she had is nicknamed the "widow maker" because no one ever survives. The main artery going to her heart was completely blocked, so they placed a stint in. As a firefighter at Exxon I have had to assist others in the rescue of heart attack victims. From my experience, if they are to the point of needing shocked they usually don't survive. It is truly a miracle that Kim is alive. Please pray for her and her family during her recovery time.

During my experience with cancer I felt skeptical of whether or not I was worthy of a miracle. My first visit at MDA was not encouraging. The surgeon began the conversation by telling me I was not a candidate for surgery. He then proceeded to give me tons of percentages that did not give me good odds. Overall, he said that most people with my cancer live up to 5 years and that if the chemo didn't work I'd have 6 months to live. I did not feel confident when leaving Houston that day. A week later I went to my oncologist for the first time and asked her not to give me success rates or percentages. I just had one question, "Has anyone ever survived stomach cancer?" Her answer was yes and that's all I needed to know. From that point on I decided to fight. When first diagnosed I'd pray for a miracle and then wonder if God would choose to save me? Why would he? I didn't attend church regularly, wasn't the best christian and I'm not perfect. I'm not a preacher, I'm not a deacon or a priest. Why would God waste a miracle on me? I'm sure other people have problems too and probably struggle with the same doubts. What I've come to realize is God loves us all. We are all his children. As a parent, I love my kids the same no matter what they do. One may be better at sports and the other may make better grades. If one child messes up that doesn't make me love them any differently. In the end, God loves us all equally and if it is in his will a miracle could be in store for any of us. So why not me or you? Just have faith.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment