Thursday, December 10, 2009

No Like Milkshakes (spoken like my grandson)

Today the nausea went away which is great. If you recall, a few weeks ago I was telling you how up to 5 days after chemo touching anything cold would shock me. I've recently found out that the effects stay with me much longer. Today I was outside without my gloves and discovered that my hands tingle and go numb. Oh, and I should mention that my mustache is falling out. I'm still determined not to shave it just yet.

Has anybody ever heard of professional strength muscle building milkshake or muscle milk? In my opinion, they all taste like crap! After my first visit with my oncologist she said I needed to stick to a 2,000 calorie diet a day. The only problem is I couldn't eat. So, to maintain my calorie intake my family and I decided shakes were the way to go. First we started off with muscle milk. Everyone told me that chocolate was the best flavor so that's the one I chose. It was so terrible that I almost spit it on the floor. I'd hate to taste the worst flavor. Then came the milkshakes. Keep in mind I couldn't drink anything cold because of the chemo. We had to warm each milk shake before I drank it....mmmmmm....mmmmmm....good! I wasn't sure if the chemo or the shakes were making me throw up.

My daughter, Tiffany was determined I would meet my daily goal of 2,000 calories, so she began inventing shakes hoping one would be a winner. She stood at the counter with her blender like a mad scientist cooking up her formulas. She even named the shakes: peachy keen, merry melon and berrylicious. Oh yeah, she named them all. I give her an A++ for effort. Everyone that tasted them thought they were great, but I think they were just trying to lure me in for the kill.

Finally, I got everyone together and explained that I never wanted to taste another shake again. After the first chemo treatment I thought I could successfully eat bread again and decided to go to Red Lobster for their biscuits. Luckily their biscuits are delicious and 250 calories a piece. I thought everyone understood how strongly I disliked the shakes, but the next day I arrived at both my house and my mothers to find 5 pound containers of Professional Strength Muscle Building Shake Mix. You can see how well my family listens to me! My determined family began trying to force me to drink these high calorie shakes. This crap would make my whole body shake when I'd drank it.

Praise God I can eat again. I can now reach my daily 2,000 calorie diet by eating normal food. I really do appreciate my family and friends who pushed me to eat that many calories a day. Not only was I not able to eat much, but the doctor was asking me to eat more calories a day than I did when I was well. It was a challenge and I'm thankful I had people cheering me on.

I never, ever, ever, ever want a protein drink to touch my lips again. If anyone needs a 5 pound container of muscle shake mix let me know-I'll give it to you.

"If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles." Matthew 5:41

2 comments:

  1. I TASTED MUSCLE MILK FOR THE FIRST TIME AT WORK IN THE CAFETERIA AFTER A MORNING WORKOUT. I REMEMBER PAYING WAY TOO MUCH AND IT HIT THE GARBAGE CAN BEFORE I HIT THE DOOR!!! NNAAAAAASSSSTTTTYYYYY!!!! IM WITH YOU ON THAT ONE. GLAD TO HEAR YOU ARE EATING.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well as you can can remember I was always skinny, thats because I hate those drinks to NASTY. Hang in there Old Friend, God is with you.

    ReplyDelete