Monday, December 21, 2009

Christmas Festivities

This past Saturday and Sunday I was a little nausea and had some lower back pain and stomach pains. Again, the pains I have are caused by the chemo fighting the cancer and usually go away by Monday or Tuesday. Also, my hair is starting to grow back and it's 90% white. I may end up looking like Einstein's twin by the time this is all over.

This weekend was full of many Christmas festivities. First, we had our last Christmas at my mother's house. It was both happy and sad. We had fantastic mexican food (catered by Dana Jara if you are interested), watched the kid's opened gifts and played a stressful game of BINGO for cash. Usually before the BINGO began mom would open her gifts from everyone. If a card was attached to the present she would read it front to back to the entire crowd. She'd shush people, make sure everyone was paying attention and read every single word that both the card maker and the gift giver would write. It was one of those things we all joked about but will certainly miss.

My son-in-law has a different work schedule, so this Sunday we woke up to Santa gifts for my grandbaby. He was surprised by his Santa gift at least 5 times. He'd run in the room and then run back out. He wanted to know, "What's the big idea?" He also wanted to open and play with each gift when we opened presents. It took us a good 3 hours to open all the gifts.

My daughter is trying to explain to my grandson the meaning of Christmas. When she first explained that it was Jesus' birthday he was concerned that he'd have to give Jesus the gifts and got a little defensive. So, today we are having a birthday party for Jesus. We baked cupcakes, plan to order pizza, have balloons, and read the story of Christmas using a manager scene. Once she explains everything again she's going to give Owen and his best bud each a gift and tell them that because it's Jesus birthday and we want to remember it we give each other gifts. Hopefully this party will clear up any confusion.

This Christmas was really important to me because even though I feel that the chemo is working doubts still creep in. In the back of my mind I was reminded that this maybe my last Christmas, so I enjoyed watching the kids open gifts more than I ever have. People tell me that these doubts are the devil trying to get you down, and it's true, but that doesn't mean thoughts don't still creep in. So, with all my might I'm fighting negativity at all times. I did manage to shake the doubts off and have a great Christmas.

"For a child is born to us, a son is given to us. The government will rest on his shoulders. And he will be called: Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6

No comments:

Post a Comment