Tuesday, May 25, 2010

ICU Update

My mother still hasn't spoken to a doctor, but the ICU nurse was awesome and gave her a quick update.

1. Most importantly he FINALLY feels no pain, or at least we don't think so. He is heavily sedated and his body is finally resting. Mom said his color is good and he looks like he is sleeping (which he is I guess).

2. He is on a ventilator. Wikipedia defines the ventilator as a machine designed to mechanically move breathable air into and out of the lungs, to provide the mechanism of breathing for a patient who is physically unable to breathe, or breathing insufficiently. Although I haven't spoken to a doctor I assume he is on the vent because he isn't breathing sufficiently. My friend who is a respiratory therapist said that after patients aspirate it is usually hard to keep their O2 level up. I would think he is breathing some on his own.

3. They stuck a tube down his throat that goes into his stomach. Bile and fluid are now steadily flowing out of his stomach. Finally, it's getting drained!

4. They have placed "lines" into main arteries throughout the body. From my understanding each have a different purpose. For one, they needed more IV access than just his port. Also, one of the lines will continuously monitor his blood pressure and vitals. His blood pressure has been low tonight.

5. As a reminder, he is type 1 diabetic. A normal sugar level would be low to mid 100s (don't quote me on that). Right now his sugar level is approaching 400. They have him on an insulin drip and intend to check his sugar every hour.

I'll let you know when we hear from a doctor and how his night goes. Thanks for the prayers.

No comments:

Post a Comment