Monday, March 15, 2010

A Whole Lot of Doctors

As a cancer patient you would think that the only doctor I'd see would be my oncologist in Houston, but that's not the case. She's in charge of my chemo, but it takes several doctors to maintain my health.

Eye Doctor-When I had my PICC I was taking Heparin which is a blood thinner. I had to make frequent trips to the eye doctor to make sure there was no bleeding behind my eyes. Even though my PICC is gone I still have monthly appointments with him.

Diabetic Doctor-The chemo makes my sugar level rise for several days after each treatment. This doctor makes sure my diabetes doesn't go out of control while I endure chemo.

Oncologist in Bmt-I'm seeing an oncologist in Bmt who takes my pump out for me after each treatment. This prevents me from having to drive back to Houston when my chemo runs out.

Family Doctor-The new drug I'll be taking is suppose to make my blood pressure rise. My family doctor is in charge of maintaing my blood pressure through medication.

Medical at Refinery-I keep in touch with the Medical department at the refinery so they know my status.

Insurance Nurse-A nurse from my insurance calls regularly to check on my status.

Nurse from a wellness program at work-He calls weekly to check on my status.

Oncologist in Dallas-you heard our story the other day!

Not only do I visit these doctors frequently and discuss my health on the phone with several nurses, but I also am a regular at my pharmacy. I go so often that they know me by name.

I really feel blessed to have so many great doctors looking after me, but I must admit that I sometimes get tired of sitting in waiting rooms.

"Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that confess his name.And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased." Hebrews 13:15-16

No comments:

Post a Comment