Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Act of Kindness

I want to tell you about a kind doctor who befriended me in October when I was first diagnosed. A friend's mom, we'll call her Ms.G works with a cancer group in Dallas and this doctor is one of them. He happens to be an oncologist surgeon who specializes in stomach cancer. Ms. G sat down with a few of the doctors and discussed my case with them. After hearing my case he became interested and continued to check on me through Ms. G. Before long, the doctor started calling me personally to check on me. He also gave me all of his numbers so I could reach him if I ever had a question. Every once and a while I would need clarification on something MDA told me and he would clear it up. He'd call me in between his surgeries to check on me and to find out how my doctor appointments were going. He genuinely wanted to know about my progress.

Before continuing, I'd like to stress the fact that I love my doctor at MDA and I'm not second guessing her. The Dr. in Dallas never contradicts what she says and is just following my case as a friend. I must admit that it is comforting to know that if my cancer ever spreads to the point of no return that I have a 2nd doctor willing to take my case.

The Dallas doctor has been encouraging me to visit him and review my case in person. I've never felt well enough to travel, but with my recent chemo break I decided to take a road trip to Dallas. The doctor met me at his office on a Saturday and opened it up just for me. He reviewed my case, did an exam and spent about an hour with me. I want to clarify that he is not getting paid! Out of the kindness of his heart, he took a special interest in my case and decided to help me. Following the exam I went to lunch with the doctor and got to know him better.

This doctor feels like I'm a prime candidate for remission because I was in good shape and that I can eat again. He feels like this new drug can work and that MDA made a good call by choosing it. He has used it on colon cancer and has seen great results.

It's really unheard of for someone to take time out of their busy schedule to help a stranger. He had never met me and went out of his way to get to know me and check on me. As an oncologist surgeon I know his days our full, but that didn't stop him from going to the office on a Saturday for free. Amazing!

I must also thank my two friends for driving me to Dallas and stopping along the way to let me rest. I'm still tired from the trip!

"Keep on loving each other as brothers. Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing some people have entertained angels without knowing it." Hebrews 13:1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment