Tuesday, March 2, 2010

P.E.T. Scan and Prayer Request

Today I left home at 4a to get to my 6a P.E.T. scan appointment at MDA. I thought I'd tell you a little bit about the test and about my experience.

P.E.T Scan information:
P.E.T. is a technology that combines the fields of medicine, computer science, chemistry, physics, and physiology to study the function of organs such as the heart, brain, and bone. It is different from conventional imaging methods such as x-rays, CTs, ultrasounds or MRIs, because P.E.T. images provide information about how tissue functions. The other imaging methods show what the tissues look like. Luckily they were able to see me immediately and the scan took about 2 hours. The P.E.T. scanner looks similar in shape to a CT or MRI scanner. The bed on the scanner moves during the exam so that each area of the body can be imaged. The P.E.T. scanner makes no noise.
Source: MDA brochure

My P.E.T. Scan experience:
Like many tests, I wasn't able to eat 6 hours before or inject insulin into my body because it could affect the test results. I was concerned about this because usually if my sugar level is low I eat a snack and if my sugar level is high I inject more insulin. Long story short, I did have some issues with my sugar level and was forced to snack in the middle of the night. Also, when arriving at MDA my sugar level was high, so I feared they'd reschedule the test. Luckily it all worked out and I was able to have the scan done.

They did a complete body scan from my forehead to my thighs. They were looking for cancer cells that may be in my body. The scan also examined the tumor and found out if the cancer cells are dead. If the cells aren't dead the scan will then find out how deep the cancer cells go into the body tissue.

First, they put an IV into my arm and put a small amount of radioactive material into my body. The radiation only stayed in my body for a short while and had no lasting effects. Once the radioactive material is administered they take out the IV, put me in a room by myself, and asked me to rest while the material spreads through my body. I rested for an hour and then they took me to the scan. The radiologist told me that the length of time the test would take depended on my height and the reason for the test. The test itself only took about 30 minutes.

I get the test results back tomorrow at 9a. Please pray for good news!!! I'll keep you posted!

"I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you." Matthew 17: 19-20

No comments:

Post a Comment