Monday, February 15, 2010

What is this funny feeling?

Throughout my childhood I went to church every Sunday and as an adult I began floating in and out of the church. I'd get in the habit of going and then not step foot into a church for sometime. Recently, it had been about 10 years since I regularly visited a church. Even though I didn't attend church I believed in God, miracles, and that Jesus died on the cross to save us from our sins. With that being said, I never let my guard down or developed a dependence on God. I'd sometimes pray when things were bad but never remembered to pray when things were good. Life and my busy schedule got in the way of me ever developing a relationship with Christ.

After I was diagnosed with cancer I decided it was time to focus on what was important and that was my faith in God. I had never really given it a chance before. I began praying, reading the bible, reading books, and eventually went back to church. Then, I attended a sermon and it was as if the Priest was speaking directly to me. As I was listening to this sermon that was prepared especially for me I felt a warm feeling in my heart. It brought tears to my eyes and I didn't understand what was happening. At first I thought my cancer was making me over emotional, but over time I realized that wasn't the case. When this feeling occurred again I realized something much bigger was happening.

Later I was reading my Yearly Devotional book and they explained what I was feeling.

The moment you trust in Christ, you receive the Holy Spirit, who constantly encourages you in your hope in God.


After reading that quote I realized that I had received the Holy Spirit in church that day. For the first time in my life I had stopped, and listened to what God had to say. If you never stop and allow God to take control of your life you may never experience a meaningful relationship with him.

"You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he does not belong to Christ." Romans 8:9

No comments:

Post a Comment